Salary Range: $28,870 to $33,030
Provides administrative support to the Mayor, City Council, City Administrator and Chief of Police. Manages City Hall’s Administrative Office which includes, but is not limited to, preparing for and managing the functions of all city council meetings, such as preparing the agenda, related documents, and posting notices; recording actions in public meeting and maintaining public records; handling incoming and outgoing mail. Helps with the accounting, budgeting, and cash management programs of the City. Serves as Custodian of official city records and public documents. Assists in the administration of policies and procedures of employee personnel handbook.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare council agenda and assemble documents for all council meetings; prepare meeting minutes and maintain files.
- Research, file and maintain ordinances and resolutions for city council actions.
- Attends all regular and special called meetings of the Mayor and City Council and records actions; provides a summary of motions and actions taken within two business days after the meeting.
- Control, inventory, and monitor all public records and archives of the City in compliance with state record retention requirements.
- Oversee the preparation and processing of applications for businesses, alcoholic beverages, film productions, building permits, signs and other city services. Administer and document the collection of related fees.
- Collect and maintain appropriate SAVE and E-Verify forms from contractors and licensees; prepare required annual immigration reports.
- Handle purchase of office supplies and equipment; maintain inventory of city supplies and equipment.
- Respond to Open Records requests in a timely manner in compliance with state law.
- Provide preliminary review of zoning issues and inquiries and coordinate responses with the City Administrator and/or Zoning Administrator; handle rezoning, variances and special use permit requests; schedule hearing dates; submit required notices to legal organ for publication; arrange for posting of hearing notice signs on property; and send correspondence to affected property owners.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of Open Records/Meeting Act, Local Government Record Retention Schedule and other applicable laws.
- Serve as the Election Superintendent and qualifying officer for city elections; maintain records as required by state law.
- Serve as the filing officer for the City’s Ethics Commission; collect, maintain, and provide to State Ethics Commission, or its successor, relevant Campaign Contribution reports, Affidavit Exemption forms, and Personal Financial Disclosure Reports.
- Assist with the preparation and review of the annual operating budget, schedule hearings, advertisements, and meetings on the adoption of the annual budget to ensure compliance with local and state laws.
- Prepare reports on city hall administrative office activities as requested by the City Council.
- Maintain copies of lease agreements, manage rent collections and delinquencies for city-owned property.
- Supervise administrative support personnel as applicable; evaluate, review progress and direct changes as needed; discipline and counsel as needed; make recommendations to the mayor as to the selection, promotion, and termination of subordinates; provide status reports on personnel changes to city council
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Mayor and City Council.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business, public administration or a related field from an accredited college or university. Related experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
Experience: Five years of progressively responsible experience in municipal government administration is strongly preferred.
Certification: The basic training requirements for Municipal Clerk must be completed within 12 months of employment with the City.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of standard policies, procedures, programs and services in municipal government; including parliamentary procedures of Robert’s Rules of Order.
Administrative functions include compliance with personnel, purchasing, and financial management policies and procedures.
Skills in effectively communicating orally and in writing; maintain working relationships with elected officials, the general public, city employees, business and community leaders.
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and QuickBooks; office equipment (fax, copier, multiple phone lines).
Ability to manage multiple items simultaneously, prioritize tasks and meet time constraints; maintain confidentiality and professionalism; be bondable by a surety company; comprehend, interpret and explain details of special projects; develop and maintain filing systems.
Constant use of hands, will be reading, writing, typing, for extensive periods of time.
Frequently walking, reaching with hands and arms. Use of office equipment.
Occasional lifting up to 20 lbs., bending, squatting, pushing, pulling.
Please send cover letter, resume and completed application to:
Lithonia City Hall
6920 Main Street
Lithonia, GA 30058
ATTN: City Clerk Position
Click on link below for employment application:
Click on link below for job description:
Last modified: January 9, 2019